Old Logandale School Historical and Cultural Society (OLSHACS) mission is to restore and preserve the historic treasures of Moapa Valley, to establish and maintain a museum of pioneer artifacts, and to establish and maintain a historical library.
OLSHACS will promote the cultural arts in Moapa Valley by providing facilities for the displaying, teaching and performing of the arts.
- Basic Membership $25/year for a single person, or $45/year for a couple
- Non-profit partner $150 or 5 paid memberships/year
Restoration of the Old Logandale School was made possible through several grants from the Clark County Commission, the Nevada Historic Commission, the Nevada Commission for Cultural Affairs, and many private benefactors. Memberships play a vital role in keeping the OLSHACS organization and the school alive. OLSHACS currently operates with income generated from facility rentals, memberships, donations and grants. Membership dues pay for a part-time Facilities Director and administrative costs. Without membership dues the old school could not be open to the public on a full-time basis, nor would we have staff to facilitate special events and fundraisers.
The library is housed in the same location as the original library, and its purpose is to provide a place where the rich history and heritage of the Moapa Valley and surrounding areas can be gathered and preserved.
Personal and family histories, local folklore, historical photographs, as well as numerous books detailing the events in the lives of people who lived throughout the state can be found here.
Also on site, is more than two hundred audio histories and memories of people who grew up in the Moapa Valley area.
The library provides a treasure of information for those who wish to learn about the pioneer days and the development of Moapa Valley.
The Library is open to the public for research, class tours, or special assignments. Whenever possible, publications and copies of material are available for a small fee.
- ($25 Membership Fee Requirement to use Facility)
- Auditorium-$350 (Includes the use of the kitchen)
- Dance Room-$50
- Outdoor Pavillion-$50 (Including the use of the bathroom-$90)
- Sound System Technician-$100
- Portable Sound System-$50
- Classes and Seminars-Call For Information
1. Rooms available for meetings/classes: Conference Room, Art Room, Kitchen and Dance Room
2. Food is permitted only in the kitchen and art room, and in the auditorium in the case of a dinner or reception.
3. A deposit of $100 is required on all auditorium bookings to confirm the space.
4. Final payments on all bookings must be paid the day before the event.
5. Any deposit paid will be forfeited if reservation is canceled seven days or less prior to the event.
6. Failure to abide by the policy handout you receive at the time of rental can result in additional charges (i.e. cleanup or damages) or refusal to rent to you or your group in the future.
Schools in the Moapa Valley have a rich history. The valley was settled by Mormons, and they have always been known for making a school one of the first buildings built when starting a new community. St. Thomas had a school in 1865, and so did St. Joseph, later to be known as Logandale. In August of 1868 tragedy struck St. Joseph. Two young boys built a fire to roast potatoes behind Brother Miles and Brother Streepers homes in the fort. A breeze caught the fire and blew sparks to the tule-thatched roof of the building, and started a fire that consumed most of the fort before it was through. The school was one of the casualties. After that, there is no record of a school in St. Joseph until 1892, when Joseph Smith Huntsman built the Huntsman granary. It was a two-story adobe building with a granary and tack room downstairs, and a large room upstairs for school, church and community activities.
About 1899, a new building was built. It was always referred to as the “boxcar” school, as it was about 12 ft. wide and 24 ft. long, shaped like a boxcar. In 1911 a new building was built that was used until 1920. In that year, a new school was built in Overton, and for the next 15 years, the Logandale children were bused to Overton for school. Then a local farmer, Louis Adams, donated the land where a new Logandale school was to be built. It was constructed of native stone quarried from the east end of Wells Road. This new structure consisted of four classrooms, a bell tower, a gym and stage. The school opened in 1935 and the following year, showers, dressing rooms, and indoor toilets were added. In 1938 the bell tower was removed to make way for the next addition. The red brick front included classrooms for the 7th and 8th grades, a library, a band room and office space. It was a center of pride for the community and a location for social, religious and educational activities. When the Clark County School District was formed in 1956 the school was closed and students returned to Overton.
In the 1960s and early 1970s, migrant farm workers children were educated in the old Logandale school. Renovation then took place so the building could be used for a community and recreation center. Unable to take care of the building, the Logandale School was turned back to the school district in 1988, and it remained boarded up, neglected and vandalized until 1997.
OLSHACS Inc. was then formed, and dedicated to restoring the building to the beautiful condition you see today.
Please visit OLSHACS Website for updated information
[custom-facebook-feed id=Olshacs layout=thumb num=2]